My Operation

So the night before the operation was interesting to say the least. I had called David earlier on in the day to find out if he could get the day off. This is because my admission time at the hospital was scheduled for 6am! 6am at a Hospital approximately an hours drive from my house. It meant that I needed to go to bed super early in order to wake up super early the next day to get there in time. Luckily David was able to get Friday off, Yay! He had told me earlier in the week that on Thursday night he was going out for drinks with some work mates, which I was totally fine with as long as he got back at a reasonable hour that night.

I called him at around 8 pm, he sounded like he was having a great time and didn’t want to come home any time soon. I understand how it is when you’re out on the town having a good time, the last thing you want to do is call it a night early, so I suggested that he spend two more hours out and then come home, which would give him a few hours of sleep before we had to wake up before the dawn of crack. Happily he agreed and that was the end of that conversation. I should have gone to bed at 8:30 pm If I wanted a decent amount of sleep, but decided to stay up 1) because I was starving at this point and it’s really hard to sleep on an empty stomach, 2) I required frequent use of the bathroom, 3) I was watching a really interesting show on the TV and 4) because I thought it would be nice to wait until David got home.

At around 10 pm I got a phone call from a less than sober David who told me he was on his way home. At about 10:30 pm he stumbled in to the apartment. I had asked him to stop by the shops to pick up a bottle of poweraid, I think he bought home 7 bottles! Which is fine by me as It’s one of the few drinks which helps hydrate and settle the stomach when I am not feeling 100%. I had made him some pizza as he had had very little to eat (which probably contributed to his condition)  and then we went to bed.

The next day we woke up a little late, but still had plenty of time to make it to the Hospital. I made sure I had packed my overnight bag the day before so all we really needed to do was get dressed and head out. David was feeling a little ill (understandable) so I drove us both up to the hospital. I get to the reception an hour later and “check in” and have a lovely but brief chat with the lady at the front desk. She is the mother of one of my sisters friends from primary school.

David and I went up to the ward where I found myself to be in a shared room (oh well)n with one other lady who arrived shortly after me. I had all my vitals taken and went through all the paperwork again with the nurse before I had to have a shower and change into a very fetching hospital gown. I got fitted with my special hospital socks, which help prevent blood clots and then sat back and relaxed until the time came when I was wheeled away to the operating theatre.

I had a lovely conversation with the man who took me to the waiting bay, and then another conversation with my anesthetist, and then another conversation with the operating nurse and finally a short conversation with my doctor. I was given something very very powerful just before I went into the theatre, I mean, I was pretty much out of it 5 seconds after it was administered. All I can remember just prior to the operation was being wheeled into the room and being asked to move myself onto the operating bed. That’s it. It was all black from there.

I woke up maybe 2 hours later in recovery. I was not in a world of pain but I was in enough pain to grumble and moan about it. I tried to look around a bit and there were a fair few others in there with me. I was still pretty zonked at this point and couldn’t stay awake or asleep very long. I ask for some pain medication, but apparently they had already given me some so I just had to have a little sleep until it kicked in. I did try to go back to sleep, trust me I really wanted to because when I was unconscious I couldn’t feel anything. I wasn’t very successful though and they wheeled me out of there back to the ward. I don’t remember the trip at all, I remember arriving back in my room and them giving me some wonderful pain killer which worked so fast. After it kicked in the pain was gone and it never came back which I am still very pleased about. I was like really bad period pain, only I experience that kind of period pain regularly so for me it was like regular period pain.

The rest of the day was spent in patches of sleep and alertness. My mum was there now and both her and David looked after me, gave me water when I asked, got me some food, helped me eat all the things I needed help with they were there for me. It was good to wake up and see their faces. I eventually was able to get out of bed and walk around as the anesthetic slowly wore off. I did need some antimetics perhaps 3 times over the course of that day and I only spewed twice which was fantastic. I was able to have a shower with the help of a nurse, she was really lovely and helped me put my moisturizer on after wards as I couldn’t bend my left arm due to the drip. I was wondering why the drip wasn’t working and it wasn’t until my anesthetist came along and said that I had to keep my left arm straight that the stuff started to flow. I felt a little embarrassed because this wasn’t my first visit to hospital and I couldn’t believe I didn’t remember that one simple thing.

Mum left at around 6 pm and David at around 6:30 pm. After that I went for a walk to get some ice and water. There was a lady in the tea room and she kindly offered to get it for me. She didn’t work at the hospital, she was visiting someone, I thought it was so nice that she looked after me like that. That night I watched a little TV and went to bed pretty early. I woke up a few times during the night, but all in all it was pretty restful and when I did sleep it was really great.

All in all the experience wasn’t as bad as I originally thought it was going to be. I guess if you prepare for one eventuality and it turns out completely unexpected you’re able to deal with it better? At least it turned out that way for me and I am very grateful for it. The road to recovery doesn’t look as long or as rough, I am already able to move about my house and even went to the shops with David! My belly doesn’t look as swollen/full of CO2 as it did on Friday and I no longer have a cramp in my neck or pain in my back.

Life is good.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s